Thursday, April 30, 2009

The PICC line is gone

My home health nurse just left after removing my PICC line. We tried our best but the skin underneath the dressing was very red, very infected and there was an awful odor. We are waiting to hear from my doctor and its possible I will need to start anti-biotics as a precaution. My skin burns a lot and itches. It was one of those better safe than sorry situations. I'm somewhat relieved, but somewhat sad because now I'll have to be poked a lot.

I'm not sure how this will affect my next chemo. Because my course will only be two days, I may not need another PICC line, but will just have them insert an IV each day. We're almost at the end of this. I'm getting anxious for May 11 to get here.

Brett and I visited my work yesterday and it was wonderful to see everyone. I walked into my office and it was like it was the last day I was there; the calendar was still on November, my "to do" list was still by my phone, and Halloween candy was in a dish on my desk. It's hard to believe it's been almost 5 full months. I can't wait to get back to work, and it sounds like they have plenty of work for me to return to.

In other news, I should have remembered last update to say "knock on wood" because Jenelle was sick last Friday and kept us up until 2:00 a.m. with vomiting. She never had a fever, and was fine on Saturday and holding down her food. We think it may have been something she ate.
Luckily her seizures remained stable, even though she had thrown up her nighttime meds. The good news in that is that none of the rest of us caught her little bug (knock on wood!)

That is all for now. Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers. KCA!

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Wonderful news! The light at the end of the tunnel is the most beautiful light in the world.

Sorry Jenelle was sick but glad she got better quickly. And, I'll knock on wood with you that no one else in the family gets it.

Keep KCA!