Friday, November 28, 2008

Update on Mommy

The night before Thanksgiving, 2008 I was diagnosed with Leukemia and admitted to our local hospital.  What you read below is the first email/post that I sent out to all of our friends and family.  During 2008 and after, this blog changed and evolved.  I kept both my cancer updates and Jenelle's seizure updates going consistently, and I hope that I've become more open with not just Jenelle's journey, but my own.  Here is that first post: 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia/Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia (AML/APL) on Wednesday. On Thanksgiving, I was transferred from Hoag Hospital to UCLA because UCLA has a more advanced form of chemotherapy in which to treat my specific type of leukemia.

I'm told that if you have to have Leukemia, the type I have is the one you want because it's the most treatable. There is a 70 to 90% success rate with UCLA's treatment. Hoag was absolutely wonderful, but I have a greater feeling of comfort being here at UCLA with the best doctors in the world. I am in the brand spanking new Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center hospital, and it is like being in a top notch hotel (with internet access - YAY!) I am told for this first round of chemo, I will be here for about a month. We're hoping I can get home in time for Christmas.

I started chemotherapy last night and so far so good. As you now I have a positive attitude about most things in life. I realize it's going to get tough, but it will be just a short interruption in life on the road to getting well.

I cannot have flowers or plants, but visitors are OK. Please stay away if you think you are the slightest bit ill. The hardest part will be being away from the kids, but I realize it is only temporary. We're not really sure what we need right now, and I'm sure Brett will need some help with the kids. We know from past experience that our friends and family are a wonderful support so thank you in advance. I'm only sorry that we have to lean on you all again.

I will try to post updates about me here, rather than send out e-mails. It's just easier putting it all in one place, and I'm familiar with using this format, so I'll stick with what I know to keep it simple.

Thank you for the continued thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming.

12 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh Kelly - I am just stunned to hear this news. Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers daily. Your positive attitude is a wonderful thing. I know it was essential for us in getting Nicklaus through treatment.

I'm sorry you and your family are having to face more challenges. If anyone can conquer them though, my money's on you.

Cathy West

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I am so sorry to hear this news, know that you are in my prayers. You are such an amazing mom to Jenelle and Jack and I am so proud of your positive attitude. I have all confidence that this will get you through.

Know that you are in my prayers.

Hugs,

Debi (Lauren's mom)

Leightongirl said...

We're here for you.

Rebecca said...

Kelly we will continue to pray for you. If there is anything we can do from afar, please let us know!

Kelly said...

prayers, well wishes, & hugs coming your way :)
your online Indiana buddies

LW said...

Kelly,

You have such an incredible outlook on everything, and in just the short time that I've been reading your blog your strength has ALWAYS seemed to shine through it all. Prayers, thoughts, and much love are sent to you and your family from mine! *hugs*

-Lindsey-

Me said...

Stay strong girlfriend! And make sure you tell Brett to give a call if you want me to hop a plane!! :)

You are adored by many. You are going to have hundreds of people praying for you tonight. Hugs mamacita. :)

Tonie Auer said...

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you - even from as far away as Texas. I will add you to the prayer chain I'm on (they were praying for Jenelle last week!) ... stay strong, lady. You know you have a family who needs you very much. I know this will be hard, but you're an incredible woman with such stamina - you can do it.

God has great things in store for you. And, as a cancer survivor, I can tell you that the strength is there within you ... I love ya, babe.Take care.

Anonymous said...

Kelly - I stumbled across your web page years ago and have kept up with it since. I don't know you personally, but feel that your blog has allowed me to without ever meeting. I do not have a special needs child, but I have been captivated by Jenelle and how she has become the person she is not just with the help of her teachers and other family members, but mainly you. You are an inspiration to all mothers. I just want to say that my heart has broken for your family and I am truly sorry that you and your family must go through this. May you remain positive and continue to be the person you are. You will never be far from my mind.

Anonymous said...

Kelly:

If I hadn't have jumped on Merrit's blog, I wouldn't have known. I've been so crazy, busy. Haven't had time to check in. I will now EVERYDAY! I wish so much that I could be there to help. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Stay strong!

Unknown said...

Kelly, I am so sorry to hear that you've been so ill. I missed seeing your posts on BrainTalk and seeing updates on Jenelle. You are in my prayers.

Tamie & Tyler

Anonymous said...

Hello Kelly, I would just first like to applaud your courage and strength. What you have been through many could not handle or still have the courage and strength you do, to continue on. In reading your story and that of your daughter I now clutch and hold my daughter even tighter, because one never knows how truly blessed they are until they read a story such as yours where you seem to have passed through so many obstacles, but yet you are still standing. You and your daughter are so blessed to have each other and I pray that God will continue to strengthen and keep you both. You have encouraged me to be a better person and over all human being, knowing that it can always be worse. My prayers are with you and your family. May God bless you all.