Today was our 6 month check up with Dr. Shields at UCLA for Jenelle. It was a good visit. We spoke with Dr. Shields about Jenelle's new seizures of late, and he feels they may be do to yet another growth spurt. Jenelle has gained 3 pounds, and 2 inches since he saw her last September. Dr. Shields decided to increase Jenelle's Felbatol as we have a lot of room left for an increase of that drug. Brett and I agreed with that since Jenelle has done so beautifully on Felbatol for the last 3 years or so. If after the increase, we continue to see the same seizures, we'll let Dr. Shields know and we'll go from there.
Dr. Shields was thrilled to hear about Jenelle's first word ("Mum") and agreed that we were going to see some differences in Jenelle as she reacts to what's been going on with my cancer treatment. He feels my absence in December definitely was a part in getting Jenelle to verbalize the word "Mum". Dr. Shields wants to check Jenelle's blood work again to make sure her levels are OK, and will see us again in 6 months.
As for me and the start of Round 3, no word yet on whether or not next week is approved. I spoke to UCLA this morning, and they asked me to contact my HMO to help get the authorization approved. I made a couple of phone calls, but still no word. Brett and I were thinking if I can't get approved for Monday, we may have to go ahead with a hospital admission for me to get the chemo, in order to keep everything on schedule for me to be out of the hospital for Jack's First Communion. Isn't it weird how insurance companies work? It's easier to get admitted, clearly something more expensive, than it is to authorize an outpatient procedure. It boggles the mind. In the mean time, we are working on a driving schedule to get me to UCLA each day next week in hopes that everything is approved.
The fundraiser on Sunday was very successful and many thanks goes out to my good friend Erin for all her hard work in planning the event. Brett and I attended the event and it was good to see so many of our friends and family. In all honesty, it was a little overwhelming at times. We are so very fortunate to have such a wonderful support group around us. Thanks again to everyone involved.
That is all for now. I will update when I know more. Thanks again for the continued thoughts and prayers. I will keep you posted.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Hi, Kelly, You are so good to keep us updated. Thank you. And so glad to hear so many positives. You are in my daily thoughts and prayers. Barbara
Always looking at the sunny side of an issue I guess you being away so much because of the cancer made Jenelle take another step (leap!) forward with speech - a HUGE blessing and plus and of course a cherry on top that it's Mum!!! :)
Post a Comment