Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Need Blood and Platelet Donations

If you are in Southern California and your blood type is A Positive, I could use your platelets. I was supposed to get Platelets today but the blood bank was out of my type. I need type specific platelets as O negative gives me a rash. The nurse told me that the bank is critically low right now on blood and platelets.

To donate to me specifically, you have to donate at the UCLA blood bank on Galey. I'm sure they can use any type to help increase the bank, but it you donate and you are A positive, please ask that the blood/platelets be used for me at Santa Monica.

For more information, check out UCLA's Blood Bank website.

My fever is lower today, around 101.8, and I'm starting to get a rash on my arms, possibly from one of the new anti-biotics. I am getting two different IV antibiotics, one IV anti-fungal and one IV anti-viral. They are pulling out the big guns to get me through this. My neutrophils are still at zero so my body isn't helping much. I feel pretty crappy and am enjoying the Benedryl naps I get. I still can not have visitors.

Thank you for the continued thoughts and prayers. KCA

8 comments:

Leightongirl said...

Shoot, I wish I had the right type. I'm O positive. I would do it in a heartbeat otherwise. I'm thinking of you.

Jennifer said...

If I was in the area, I would donate my blood to you in a heartbeat!! I am A+ and an active blood donor. I am praying some shows up at the bank for you!

Ivey's Mom said...

I am A+. Is there anyway someone from Georgia can make a donation? Remind that O type that they can donate to Anyone!!!! They just can't receive from others not O! They can donate to you.

Ivey's Mom said...

Oops...I am A- . I accidentally hit the wrong key.

Anonymous said...

I'm working on an appointment for tomorrow or Saturday. I'm A+ and will do a direct donation. Hang in there!!

Allison

gypsygrrl said...

kelly, i am not in the area, but i am A+ and i am going to go in a week or so (cycle ending, my hematocrit will be too low) and donate here.

you are held up often in thoughts and prayers ~ and surrounded in so much love. hugs to bret and your kiddos, too!

sending you love and prayers...KKCA!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know anyone can receive O positive or O negative platelets. It is absolutely safe if you are A positive.

Kelly said...

Dear Anonymous,

You obviously missed reading the part where I said that I have an allergic reaction to blood products that are not type specific for me. We discovered this side effect when I was given O type products in December.

Kelly