Monday, June 29, 2009

Jenelle & Mommy Update

Jenelle had an appointment this morning with her G.I. doctor to check her g-tube and nutrition needs. Jenelle is doing very well weighing in at 50 pounds, 48 inches tall and the 50th percentile for both height and weight for her age. Dr. Idries was very pleased with Jenelle's growth and accomplishments (yet another doctor who hasn't seen her walk - that happens when you only see that doctor once a year.) She is cutting her back to two cans of formula a day since it appears that Jenelle eats so well now on her own. We will keep giving her the formula to make sure that Jenelle gets adequate vitamins and minerals and things she needs but might be missing from the diet of mostly pured veggies. We will see Dr. Idries again in another year.

Also, last Wednesday, Jenelle's school had their annual Awards and Promotions ceremony. I made it to the ceremony and got to watch Jenelle win an award for "Improving her Ability To Use The Bathroom Consistently and Chew Harder Foods." As always, the ceremony was sweet and emotional.

And, it seems I've been paying the price for over doing it these days. After the awards ceremony on Wednesday, I had enough energy to want to go to Tustin's concert in the park with some friends to listen to the music and celebrate a friend's birthday. That made for a full day, and then the next day of course we were at UCLA for my follow up, and well, you have the update on that. I'm still a bit sore in my knees from where I took a spill. On Friday, Brett and I decided to see a movie. After the movie, I was done. It was like I'd hit a wall. The weekend and most of today have been spent going from my bed to the couch and back again. I'm tired of being tired and can't wait to have some energy again.

Jenelle is doing well and I'm recovering still very slowly. Thank you for continued thoughts and prayers. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Tonie Auer said...

Isn't it great to have the chance to over-do it, though? I'm so pleased for you, Kelly!!!!

Good luck on taking it easy. I'm so happy for you ... God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Now about those flip-flops....hmmm - do ya think you could NOT wear sandals until your strength is up? I saw some flip flops that had a solid piece over the big toe the other day - looking like safer for those who need to protect their SKIN.

A little less encouraging - be sure you are not having a bit of 'foot drop' or nerve impairment in your lower leg.

If it is just weakness or tiredness, you can do some simple exercises to strengthen you lower legs. Email me if you want to know more. I know you have lots of resource-people around you already.

Prayers answered! Barbara