Thursday, June 18, 2009

What a long strange trip it's been...

Kelly here. We had a follow up with my oncologist today. She really wants to watch this rash to make sure things don't get out of hand. I really don't remember a lot of what happened in the hospital, but my doctor said it was quite serious, and I'm very lucky.

As you know, I was admitted on May 22 for infected mouth sores. When I started to spike a fever of 104.8, I was very scared. Scared for my life. They threw a lot of meds at me, and it worked and the fever went away. A few days later I started to get a rash, which they assume was from one of the many drugs they had me on. And then I hit a fever again of 104.8. We found out that I'm very sensitive to drugs, and we now know I'm allergic to Latex. Brett and my Mom tell me there was a point when my sodium level was down, and my kidneys were not working well. My heart rate also dropped very low. I was hallucinating, and I really don't remember any of it, but my Mom says I didn't stop talking. At that point, I was moved into more of an ICU type room for a few days. My fever was gone for a good 4 days, but the rash (as you've seen in photos) was worse, and is very painful in my joints. I am using morphine every 4 hours for the pain.

The hospital decided with my fever gone, it might be best to rest at home with the rash, so as not to risk any infection I could get at the hospital. My biggest motivator in agreeing to go home was that they would stop poking me for blood draws. Remember, I don't have a PICC line anymore, and they had to change my IV site every 5 days to avoid infection, and of course I was poked every morning for labs, cultures, etc.

I'm doing well at home. Still in a lot of pain, but resting and eating better.

Thank you all for the prayers. This last hospital was frightening to say the least, but at least now I know I will survive. I'll update again when I can. KCA!

8 comments:

Leightongirl said...

I've been thinking of you every day. Thank you for the updates and take care of yourself.

Danielle said...

This post from you just made me sigh a big, happy sigh. You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I'm sooooo glad you are in the comfort of your own home. Now that you are safe, can I just say "that is one UGLY rash!!!!" I hope that morphine is working because just looking at your rash makes ME hurt. Thanks for the continued updates. I was/am worried for you - your family is in our thoughts! Keep KCA!!!Go Kelly!a

Anonymous said...

So glad you're home and on the mend! Take good care of yourself!!

KCA!!

Allison

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you in Texas!

Love, A sometimes blog reader who is pulling for you!

Kami said...

I am so glad you are home and okay. I was so worried about you!

((((HUGS))))

Barbara said...

Checking in late on this post, but always praying for you - it all gets better from here on!

Bogart said...

Glad you can recoup at home...still praying for you.