Last Thursday, I had my follow up appointment with the oncologist's nurse. The good news is that my numbers are good; my neutrophils were at 1,100 - 1,500 is considered normal. The unexpected news was that they want me back to start Round 3 of chemo on Monday, March 9. We were surprised to hear this as we thought I might get a month off like last time. Of course, hearing this with my emotions being so down, I did not take the news well. I wanted to desperately be out of the hospital just a few weeks ago, and now I have to go back so soon.
And contrary to what we were told in January, Round 3 will consist of 5 doses of chemo, not 3 doses. I will also be given a drug that I haven't received, so we are not sure how I will respond. I still have the option of receiving the chemo as an "out patient", and then only returning to the hospital when my counts go to zero like last time. After a long talk with Brett, we are considering the "out patient" plan so I can have some more time at home. This will require that we drive to UCLA 5 days in a row. Brett's parents and my good friend Erin have offered to help out, so that will take some of the stress off Brett. We have until this Thursday to make that decision. The oncologists wants to see my numbers this coming Thursday. If they are still low, she may delay Round 3 another week.
On the up side, it will be good to get this done. If I start Round 3 on March 9, I will definitely be out of the hospital for Jack's First Communion ceremony on May 9. However, I will most likely be in the hospital for Easter.
We spoke to the nurse about my depression, and she put me on some happy pills. The pills have really helped me sleep, but I haven't seen much difference yet in my mood and emotions. The nurse said that I must have been a very active woman prior to my cancer - she has no idea. I've been praying a lot for more patience, as we are almost more than halfway done. I realize I've been very fortunate in all this that I've responded so well, but still it has been long and hard to endure.
Last weekend the kids started Little League again, and I got to go to Opening Ceremonies and watch their first games. It was really hot this past weekend, and I was very tired with all the events. Still it was wonderful to spend time with the kids.
I will let you know when we start Round 3 as soon as we get the go ahead from my oncologist. In the mean time, please send prayers for my patience, that I can weather these last two rounds better than last time.
Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers. KCA!