Monday, December 01, 2008

Visiting with the kids



My in-laws brought Jack and Jenelle to visit me last Saturday. The photo above is me and Jack in my new home. On Thanksgiving, we paged Jack's child psychologist and asked how to handle telling him the news. He suggested to be simple, and honest and not to dwell. When I saw Jack on Saturday, I told him "Mommy has Cancer, so I need to be in the hospital so they can make me well." I didn't want to overwhelm him with words like Leukemia. I figure with a word as simple as Cancer, he at least knows what to say to his friends. I also told Jack that I will likely lose my hair. When I suggested that he come help me shave my head when it starts to fall out, he really liked that idea. He has been doing well with the news, but has moments where he misses me.

Jenelle has been amazing, so I'm told. We had some issue with her feedings. I usually make Jenelle's pureed food once a week for the week. Obviously, I'm not there to make it and she ran out. There is only so much oatmeal a person can have before getting constipated, and that is what happened to Jenelle. Poor thing. My boss (who is on maternity leave with her one month old) took on the job of making some pureed foods for Jenelle and had them delivered to the house, so now she is back to a better diet. What wonderful support we have around us. One very sweet thing I'm told is that whenever people have been talking about me in front of Jenelle, she says "Mum" a lot. I realize she can't possibly understand why I'm gone, but to know that she is vocalizing my name "mum" really tells me she misses me.

Jenelle's Neurologist Dr. Shields stopped by for a visit yesterday. It was so wonderful to see his warm smiling face. I know I'm in good hands here. I've had a lot of visitors, and I am stocked well with reading material and such. I really haven't had much time to be bored. So far so good with the treatment. Just taking it one day at a time.

Thanks for the prayers - please keep them coming!

12 comments:

I For One..... said...

Just wanted to send my positive thoughts for you and your family. I'm here via Ben aka SoulShiner at Twitter. I wish you strength during this fight, and a speedy return to better health.

Leightongirl said...

Hang in there, kiddo.

Anonymous said...

I'm also A positive so I will be on my way this week to donate...Please know Jenelle is well and taken care of. I let Brett know that I can help as much as you need the next few weeks. Thinking about you and keeping you all in my thoughts. ...Val

Brooke (CrazyRN) said...

This post really tugged at my heart. It just makes me sad that you even had to have this talk with Jack. I really got teary when I read that Jenelle is saying "mum". I wish that life wasn't so unfair, your family has dealt with enough already! I'm so proud of you for having such a strong attitude about this. You are amazing Kelly.

When I was at work last night, I had to give 2 units of blood and a unit of platelets (I was floating to another unit to help out). I thought of you the entire time. I shared your story with 2 fellow nurse friends, so if your nose was itching, it may have been from me! ;)

Kim said...

Kelly, we are pulling for you here. I wish we were closer. I am sorry you had to mutter those words to Jack :(
That is so awesome Dr. Shields came to visit. It is hard to find a neuro with that kind of compassion. I think we need to move to CA for him and you guys! :)
All our love and prayers

Anonymous said...

What wonderful parents you and Brett are!

The prayers (and pureed support!) of many are evident.

Barbara

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Kelly:
I had no idea. I wish I lived near you I would help with whatever I could.

I am pulling for you and your family. How long are you in the hospital for?

Kate

Tonie Auer said...

Still pulling for you. Let me know if I can help.

deb said...

You continue to amaze me. My kids were with me when my dad shaved my head. You will know when its time.

Your kids will thrive-and you will be home with them soon. I love Jenelle vocalizing.

Keep up your spirit-you know the prayers are constant. I put you on the prayer list at the synagogue. We do a special prayer for healing after each Torah reading. From all of our lips to G-d's ears.

Love and hugs,

Deb

Kelly said...

You have lots of prayers coming from all your online friends!!!

Gators_Rule said...

I'm glad to hear Jack is holding up so well. Your comments about Jenelle are so touching. I know that little girl misses you.

Hang in there, the posse's got your back ;)

Linda

Vodka Mom said...

okay. I am praying RIGHT NOW. I'm not sure God really remembers who I am, except the whole "Let's shake up her life and see what happens" stuff he pulls on me, but it's worth a try. And, frankly, after this post I feel like I've dodged many bullets.

praying RIGHT NOW...