Saturday, October 22, 2005

Happy 3rd Birthday Boo!

We have a three year old in the house! This past year has been amazing, even with all the hospital stays and trips to the ER. I am really very excited for the months that lie ahead for our little girl. Jenelle's last day at the Blind Children's Learning Center was Wednesday, and they celebrated her birthday with some "birthday Jell-O" I prepared. We were sad to say goodbye to her teachers and therapists, and I know they will miss Jenelle very much. Starting sometime next week, Jenelle will be going to school five days a week (30 hours a week) and will be riding the bus. Who knew that she would start school before Jack! I spent a lot of time on the phone with the school nurse yesterday completing necessary paperwork and such and I'm so excited about her placement and truly feel it is the best place for her to be.

We've definitely had our scary moments this year with Meningitis, status seizures, infections and ultimately a G-Tube placement. We also made an effort to try the Ketogenic Diet, which seemed very promising but had to be stopped because her Jenelle's Meningitis. We added two new "diagnosis" to the bunch; Metabolic Acidosis and Failure to Thrive. And we have been given opportunity to see what life is like without daily seizures - even if for only two months. During everything that has happened this year, the biggest "gift" of all was not only finding appropriate seizure control, but that Jenelle finally found her laugh and smile. I had no idea that was so important, but I see the positive effect her laugh and smile have on us all. Children and friends who often overlook Jenelle knowing she was different, now stop to enjoy her laugh and smile. It has even helped the relationship between Jack and his sister - his favorite thing to do now is to make her laugh. Amazing.

Today we will celebrate Jenelle's birthday with a small party. She is feeling much better after her infection earlier this week - the antibiotic seems be working. This morning I sat her in my lap and she held her head still while I put her hair in pony tails. She used to never sit still for me like that. I whispered in her ear that she was my beautiful three year old and she smiled.

And not to leave big brother Jack out of this, I officially signed him up for Little League today! In case you didn't know, Little League is a big thing for the Curran Family. Grandpa Curran is the District Administrator for District 30, Grandma Curran volunteers a lot and of course, there is a baseball field named after the family in Northeast Santa Ana. Unfortunately, Grandpa can't bend the rules about the boundaries for Jack, so he won't be playing at Curran Field - unless someday he makes All Stars! He is currently enjoying swim lessons and piano lessons and will start Kindergarten next September.

Thank you all for the continued prayers and support. I will keep you posted!

No comments: