Sunday, August 14, 2005

Lazy mornings

I have been very lazy this weekend - sleeping in as long as possible (which means letting Jack watch Pooh's Heffalump Movie twice so I can get an extra two hours of sleep) and napping until 7:00 p.m. Luckily Brett has been letting me do this, as he knows I'm still nursing that cold.

This morning, both kids were up at 6:30-7:00. Jack was content to watch Pooh again, and we usually just leave Jenelle in her crib as she won't get hurt there and can move around to her heart's content. Around 9:00, Brett brought Jenelle into our bed and left her lying next to me. Half asleep, I put my arm over her tummy - in part to hug her and in part to keep her on the bed. Jenelle's constant moving makes it not so easy to cuddle these days. So, her kicking, and moving and rolling from side to side eventually forced me to wake up. I tried to pull her into me to spoon like I do sometimes with Jack, but it just doesn't work that way with Jenelle. She cannot stay still in one place. So I kept my arm over her tummy, and tried to hold her hand or give her a kiss now and then. This is our way of cuddling, which is not really touching at all. She seemed to be enjoying it though and at times I could get a giggle when I tickled her ribs.

As I started to realize that I may never get to truly cuddle in bed with Jenelle on a Sunday morning like I can with Jack, she rolled over onto her tummy, looked me straight in the face and smiled. Her curls were tossed here and there, and her smile showed such peace and love. Though it may not be what I'm used to with Jack, it was special time with Jenelle none the less. After the smile, she rolled onto her back and resumed her kicking and rocking. Sometimes I think God is listening to my thoughts, because he seems to give me what I need most in Jenelle just when I'm about to give up.

I'm still moving slow this morning, and the only thing that got me out of bed was knowing Jenelle needed her medicine. Cuddling and Spooning may not be what I'm used to, but her smile lets me know it is special to her as well.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Hi Kelly!

I added Jenelle's Journey as a link on my blog. Hope that is okay. Love your description of her curls! I think we need to see a pic on the blog, eh? ;)

And I have NO idea what the balance ruler is there for. LOL..Maybe it is decoration? I will ask on Monday. :)