Monday, January 17, 2011

Remembering Dr. King and taking his dream to new heights

Today is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. day in the United States. It is exciting to know that Jack cannot fathom the idea of racism and prejudice. However, sadly, members of our community continue to fight stigma and prejudice. I believe there is a "group" of individuals in the world that are just beginning their fight for equal rights in our society. These individuals are not separated by color, sex, age or economic status. I'd like to see Dr. King's "Dream" fulfilled in this way...

"I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of
today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the
American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and
live out the true meaning of its creed:

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia [people living with
physical and mental disabilities and people without disabilities] will be able
to sit down together at the table of brotherhood...I have a dream that [children
with special needs] will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged
by [their disability] but by the content of their character. I have a
dream today."

I share that dream with you Dr. King. We've come so far, but we still have more to do. Will you help me make this dream a reality?

2 comments:

celia said...

I had a dream that my generation would get rid of prejudice. When I realized that we failed, I sat down and cried.
Good for Jack that he doesn't know about prejudice. You are doing a wonderful job bringing up my BB, and I am proud of you also. I hope when Jack eventually sees prejudice that he is strong enough to speak up.

bettyegeorgej@aol.com said...

Kelly...you ARE making a difference. Just reading and looking at the pictures on Jenelle's blog helps so many people learn and know about a rare disability called Lennox Gastaut Syndrome. Jenelle's sweet,loving, beautiful, little face...says volumns! 157,582 readers have read Jenelle's Journey. You are a very strong advocate, and we love you for all the things you do to keep us informed... Especially, teaching us the medical terms and results of each phase Jenelle is experiencing. Your hopes and expectations help us to cope, also. Stay strong!