Thursday, November 20, 2008

Update on Jenelle's illness

Just wanted to give you a little update on our Jenelle. Since coming home Tuesday, she has still been running a low grade fever, and this morning she started vomiting. She has moments where she seems very normal for Jenelle and is bouncing around playing with toys, and moments where she is very cranky and obviously not feeling well. The good news is that her seizures are back under control, and I haven't noticed any since Tuesday morning. I've been in touch with her teacher and was told that two more classmates have gone home this week with fever of 104. That definitely makes me feel better knowing that it is a viral bug, and not some undiagnosed problem Jenelle can't tell us about. We all know how miserable it can be to be sick.

One thing I have been enjoying is the cuddling time I've had with Jenelle this week. Anyone in the family will tell you that we can always tell when Jenelle is not well because she likes to cuddle when she is sick. Along the same lines, I also have a very sweet story to share; during her illness Jenelle has really shown a preference for wanting her Mommy. The first time I noticed it was in the ER, when I got up to use the bathroom. As I sat up from the edge of her bed to leave the room, Jenelle sat up and appeared to almost reach for me. When I got back, Brett told me her eyes followed me out of the room. On Tuesday afternoon, Brett's Aunt Nicki noticed the same thing that Jenelle's eyes seemed to follow me around the room, as if she didn't want me far from her side. Jenelle has never been one to show preference for anyone, or any type of "stranger danger" when approached by new visitors. So to see her act this way is quite a special treat. And not to say she doesn't love her Daddy just as much, when Brett got home today to allow me to come to work, Jenelle stood up and walked over to him right away to give him a hug.

Hopefully we'll be rid of this bug soon, and Jenelle will be well enough for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers. I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Glad to hear that Janelle is feeling better. I've been thinking about you, her and your family. You know tomorrow is the first day of Disneyland dressed up for the holidays. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it as a family soon. I might walk around and soak up the scenery tomorrow.

Tonie Auer said...

Your family is in my prayers. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

That is a sweet story, Kelly. Also glad Jenelle is feeling better. And, I am happy to see the banner of AFOs is back-up. I just posted a bit of satire on the whole bracing process tonight.
Barbara

LW said...

Hello Kelly, Janelle, and family! I am new to your blog, and find your story and journey so touching and amazing. Janelle is such an inspiration to me, as well are you and the rest of your family. I hope it its alright that I've put a link to your blog on mine as well. And I'm glad to hear that Janelle is feeling better! *hugs*

Have a wonderful holiday!
-Lindsey-
http://epilepsycommunity.blogspot.com/