Thursday, October 09, 2008

"LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!"

Last night, Brett and I were sitting at our dining room table chatting about the events of the day, when Jenelle walked up to the table, put her hands down on the table, looked at her Daddy and said, "la la la la la la la la la!"

We stopped talking mid sentence. I think my mouth dropped open. We stared at Jenelle and then looked at each other in disbelief. And then as if sensing our doubt, she did it again... and again!

Brett thinks it sounded more like a "ya ya ya ya ya ya" and I thought it had more of a "la" sound. Either way, she was definitely vocalizing. I immediately went to grab the camera to capture it on video and unfortunately stage fright took over. I am determined now however to catch it on video and will share it all with you when I do! Brett gave her the biggest hug and said, "Sweetie, we didn't know you had so much to say!" Which of course made her giggle.

Sometimes I wonder if Jenelle reads my updates as I just recently posted about my concern as to whether Jenelle will ever find spoke language. Or maybe Dr. Shields (who is the best pediatric neurologist in the world) is right and that given a little more time, Jenelle will continue to amaze us with her continued progress and speech for Jenelle is not a lost cause! Or maybe all of you are sending up the right prayers for our girl (keep it coming!) No matter what the reason, we will gladly take anything we can get from Jenelle.

As Jenelle's 6th birthday approaches, I can't help but look back on all that we lost with Jenelle because of the inadequacies of her first neurologist. What more could she be doing if we hadn't lost all that time searching for answers and jumping through hoops?

It took three years to see her smile, five years to see her walk, and now almost six years to finally hear her voice. A beautiful, angelic, sweet little voice trying desperately to say something to her Daddy.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers - please keep them coming! ;)

6 comments:

Shelli said...

You are inspirational!

She is beautiful!!

((hugs))

MMMom said...

That is so awesome! I hope & pray she finds her voice over & over again!

Kandi said...

What wonderful news! I can't wait to hear what is next in her journey.

Continued Prayers!!

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And absolutely amazing. Brought a smile to my face!!!

Leightongirl said...

WOW. Keep us posted, please!