Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"Bad Mommy!"

I got a “Bad Mommy” award yesterday. Accidents happen to everyone I know, but I’m still pretty down about it. I left Jenelle in her wheelchair on the sidewalk while the bus was driving up so I could run into the house to get something. I forgot to lock the brakes, and she rolled off the curb and her wheelchair tipped over. She cried a lot. I cried a lot. She went to school and an hour later they called to tell me they thought I should pick her up because she hadn’t stopped crying. Fearing the worst like a broken arm or rib, I took her to the emergency, our favorite place in the world (NOT!)

After waiting over an hour for a room we finally got in and took her out of her chair. Immediately she stopped fretting and was rolling around on the bed like nothing happened. The doctor checked her out quickly, and we were on our way home. The quickest stay in the ER next to the time we were directly admitted to the hospital! After it happened as I was driving to work, I called Brett to tell him what happened, and he responded, “Honey, she has already forgiven you.” I guess he wasn't exactly correct because if she had forgive me so quickly, we wouldn't have made the trip to the ER. But once we got in, she was fine - just a bump on the head... not that her brain wasn't already broken anyway.

I know I’m a great mom. Accidents happen and I’m sure I’ll never forget to do it again. I’m sure she has forgiven me, but I still feel horrible. It is a constant reminder that she is so fragile, and life for us is not normal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whew...I'm so glad that she is OK, she sounds like a tough little girl. We all make mistakes and accidents do happen. Don't be too hard on yourself. You are a great mom, but dispite that, you are human.